QUALIFYING FOR FREE/REDUCED LUNCH
AHS families can complete the Meal Application form at any time if they think they might qualify for free or reduced lunch
Animas High School will provide an allergen-free meal with a completed medical modification form. Please complete and return to the Main Office.
At AHS, we support families who qualify for Free/Reduced Lunch in a variety of ways:
- Students who qualify may order one lunch per day through the AHS website at no cost or reduced cost ($4). If your student orders a second lunch, their lunch account will be charged $7.
- We provide free breakfast and sack lunches.
- Your family will not be responsible for paying the annual Technology Fee or course fees associated with any academic class.
- The fee for Summer School online courses is reduced for students who receive free or reduced lunch.
College Application Assistance
- Our college counselor will help students who qualify receive fee waivers for both the ACT and SAT exams, college application fees and college deposit fees
- The college counselor will recommend specific scholarship and summer programs to students who qualify.
- Students should never pay for anything related to college before checking with the college counselor.
- Qualifying students can receive a transit sticker from our Registrar and affix it to their school ID. This allows them to ride Durango Public Transit for free for a calendar year.
We are committed to connecting families with resources beyond what we can provide at school as well. Families can always reach out to our school counselor, Erin Skyles at erin.skyles@animashighschool.
Animas High School’s health Consultant, Etoile Hening, is a registered Nurse who oversees our health department. Please take a moment to read the attached posted letter to understand the role of a “health consultant”.
Etoile Hening, RN, BSN
970-769-9030 (Direct Confidential Cell)
Forms and Documents
- AHS Health Consultant
- Medication Administration Procedures
- Authorization to Administer Medication at School, School Sponsored Events, and Field Trips
- Contract to Self-Carry Medications at School, School Sponsored Events, and Field Trips
- Care Plan for Asthma
- Care Plan for Anaphylaxis
- Care Plan for Diabetes
- Seizure Action Plan
- Physician Chronic Illness Declaration Form
Statement of non-medical exemption (Requires a Physician’s signature. A new non-medical exemption form must be re-submitted every school year, even if the exemption is just for one vaccine)
Statement of medical exemption (Requires a Physician’s signature)
Please access Vaccine Information for Parents and Guardians if you would like to review the most up to date info from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment regarding recommended vaccines. Here is a link to common vaccine concerns and myths.
Beginning in the 2021-2022 school year, the process of filing a nonmedical exemption will change. There will be two ways to file a nonmedical exemption. Be sure to check with your student’s school or child care to find out if it needs a copy of the certificate of nonmedical exemption.
- File the certificate of nonmedical exemption WITH a signature from an immunizing provider, OR
- File the certificate of nonmedical exemption received upon the completion of our online education module.
- Parents of students in grades K-12 claiming a nonmedical exemption must file one annually. Nonmedical exemptions expire June 30 each year. If you submit a nonmedical exemption on or before June 30, it will not be valid for the upcoming school year unless you signed the exemption during early registration.
Downloadable certificate of nonmedical exemption:
- The online education module is available 24 hours a day and seven days a week. It will take approximately 20 minutes to complete.
- At the completion of the module, you will be able to complete a form to obtain a certificate of nonmedical exemption. You can complete this form for more than one child without having to retake the course.
- IMPORTANT: Nonmedical exemptions expire each year on June 30. If you submit a nonmedical exemption on or before June 30, it will not be valid for the upcoming school year unless you signed the exemption during early registration.
AHS is Exempting from administration of medical marijuana to a qualified student by school personnel due to the current conflicts with Federal law on this matter. AHS Policy for Administering Medical Marijuana to Students
Please be aware that on the days when 9R is not in session, neither the 9R route buses or the hub bus will be available.
If you are interested in using either of these bus options, please read both the Student Behavior Regulations and the Student Conduct on Buses then fill out the 9R bus form. Download the form(s) then fill it out and attach it to an email and send it to:
Transportation Forms & Policies
- Complete the Spring 2021 XBlock Credit: Student Form
- Have an adult (parent, coach, mentor) complete the Spring 2021 XBlock Credit: Parent/Coach/Mentor Form