Student activities provide great leadership opportunities for our students and allow them to pursue their interests and passions with peers who share them. AHS students have many extracurricular activities to choose from, and we encourage them to start groups and clubs when they don’t already exist. Student clubs generally meet during lunch with a faculty advisor, though some are offered as elective classes and others extend beyond the campus walls and school day.
Student Clubs and Teams
- Student Council–works with administration to review school policies and build positive school culture; grade-level representatives are elected by their peers
- Student Ambassador Team–provides school tours, helps with enrollment events, partners with prospective students and serves our greater community
- NEST Meeting–plans, organizes and facilitates all-school community meetings that provide an arena for student performances, outside speakers, community dialogues and more
- Rotary Interact Club–promotes international service, travel and study
- Gay Straight Alliance–actively cultivates a culture of acceptance and kindness by involving all students regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity
- Backcountry Ski Club–provides training and opportunities for students to safely explore our local snowy wild places
- Animas Mountain Biking Team–trains and competes under Durango DEVO
- Knowledge Bowl–creates opportunities for students to participate in challenging and fun interdisciplinary academic quiz competitions
- The Friday Show–produces entertaining and informative videos about the AHS community
- Yearbook–designs and produces AHS yearbook
- Quill Media–produces AHS newspaper, The Animas Quill, and provides journalistic content for other media including AHS weekly electronic newsletter, News from the Nest
- Model United Nations Club – Discusses foreign policy and global issues based off of United Nations protocol, and attends MUN Conferences.
In addition to AHS clubs and teams, AHS students are able to participate in Durango High School athletic teams and activities, thanks to our collaborative partnership with Durango 9R School District. Please visit the DHS website here for details.