Animas High School prepares all students for college and postsecondary success by creating critical thinkers and engaged citizens through an innovative, student-centered, project-based curriculum.
Choosing Animas High School doesn’t take a leap of faith. AHS is an intelligent choice for a relevant, rigorous education. Animas High School is a free, public charter school open to all.
Animas students are academically, socially, emotionally intelligent young adults who have professional, articulate presentation skills and know how to advocate for themselves. AHS prides itself in its open dialogue where all perspectives are welcome. Students are well known in Animas High School’s inclusive, small school setting.
Where students are prepared for college and career success.
- Traditional academic learning is held to a higher standard through authentic problem solving and critical thinking.
- Learning is relevant to the world around us. Students find connections to their lives and community.
- Writing and communication skills are developed with college-level writing assignments.
- Graduation requirements for all meet competitive college admission requirements.
- Concurrent enrollment allows opportunities to take college classes for AHS and college credit.
CULTURE OF EXCELLENCE
Where students are held to high expectations.
- Professionalism is learned through exhibitions and presentations of learning.
- Select student ambassadors represent self, school and community through tours, shadow days and marketing efforts.
- Expectation and reinforcement of positive, inclusive peer interaction.
- Accountability embodies kindness and problem solving through solution-oriented thinking.
- Decision-making relies upon student voice, where students learn advocacy and the importance of multiple perspectives.
STRONG FACULTY-STUDENT RELATIONSHIPS
Where students are well known.
- Students are are known exceptionally well by their Faculty Advisor who supports their personal and academic growth. Grade-level Advisory Groups of 10-15 students meet weekly as a group for their entire time at AHS.
- X-Block is a weekly student class to support health and wellness through community-sponsored activities: dance, mountain biking, yoga, swimming, rock climbing, paddle boarding, hiking, frisbee, and more!
- Osprey Week is an annual week-long educational adventure, where the classroom is beyond school walls.
- Grade-level camping/rafting trips, ropes courses and wilderness-based outdoor experiential activities build relationships.
Where students see the relevance of their education.
- Senior project features college-level writing and thesis defense.
- Exhibitions give student experience engaging with authentic, professional audiences.
- Interdisciplinary learning integrates Humanities, Science, and Math content in projects that answer real world questions that professionals are asking.
- Through community interaction, students engage authentic, professional audiences who work in the area of study.