Dear Osprey Students and Families,
The next three weeks are chock full of special events and quirky schedules and we want to be sure you have all the information you need to help us all wrap up the 2017-18 school year gracefully. Please read carefully, and send follow up questions my way!
May 14-18: Final Week of Regular Classes
Next week is the final week of regularly scheduled classes.
- Senior Project Exhibition is Friday, May 18, 5:00 to 7:00 at the Powerhouse Science Center. We encourage everyone to attend! Seniors will present their take action projects, the culminating piece of their capstone project at AHS, with projects ranging from rat maze experiments to kinetic art pieces to workshops about the evolution of feminism. Come and see what our seniors have produced!
- The final XBlock of the year is next Wednesday, May 16.
May 22-25: TPOL Prep/Graduation Week
The week after next, juniors will return from LINK Internships, students will be preparing for TPOLs and seniors will be in full graduation swing:
- 9th through 11th graders will be engaged in Transitional Presentation of Learning (TPOL) preparation, working in grade-level teams Monday through Wednesday, during regular school hours, 8:25 to 3:25.
- Junior Welcome Back from LINK Breakfast on Monday, May 21 from 8:30-9:30 in the Commons. Parents–please sign up here to help with this event. We are seeking volunteers to help provide pancake batter, toppings, drinks, utensils and paperware and to flip some pancakes!
- Seniors will have individually scheduled Senior Exit Interviews on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.
- Senior Celebration is Tuesday, May 22 from 5:30 to 7:00 at the Rocket Grill in the Fort Lewis College Student Unio All are welcome to attend this event, where we acknowledge the support of the community in the AHS Class of 2018’s high school journey and celebrate our seniors’ growth and accomplishments. There will be light refreshments and a cash bar. Seniors will receive cap and gowns and graduation tickets at this event.
- Advisory Olympics is Thursday, May 24 from 8:30 to 12:30 at Buckley Park. This end-of-year tradition engages advisory groups in friendly, fun competition (think dance-offs, tug-of-war, scooter races, etc.), with each group decked out in themed costumes. Our expectation is that all 9th through 12th grade students will participate in Advisory Olympics unless we receive a call from a parent or guardian excusing the student due to illness. We will have early release at 12:30 and AHS will NOT provide transportation to/from Buckley Park. Students must arrange their own transportation; there will be NO Hub Bus and AHS campus will be closed on Thursday the 24th. There will be NO catered lunch available and students should bring a sack lunch, sunscreen and water.
- Senior Supper is Thursday, May 24 from 6:00 to 8:00 at AHS. This event is just for seniors and staff, and is our final chance to appreciate the soon-to-be graduates before their big day. Parents–stay tuned for a sign up to help with Senior Supper! We will need folks setting up, preparing food, serving food, donating items, cleaning up, etc. to help create this special event for our seniors.
- Seniors will have Graduation Rehearsal Friday, May 25 from 8:25 to 10:00 at the Community Concert Hall. We do a full run through of the ceremony in cap and gown and take the class photo.
- We will have LINK Internship Panels and the Final All School Meeting on Friday, May 25. Parents are welcome to attend the LINK Internship Panels, which will be from 8:45 to 10:00. There will be early release at 12:30 on this day for all students.
- AHS Graduation is on Friday, May 25, from 4:00 to 6:00pm at the Community Concert Hal There will be general admission seating available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please plan to arrive and be seated no later than 3:45 if you have tickets. We will release ticketed seats at that time to general admission guests.
The Hub Bus from DHS to AHS WILL run and we WILL offer catered lunch May 21, 22, 23 and 25. The Bus will NOT run and we will NOT offer catered lunch on May 24. Please note that the Durango Transit Trolley route that stops near AHS is no longer running, as of Monday, May 7.
May 28 through June 1: TPOL Week
- All 9th through 11th grade students will complete Transitional Presentations of Learnings before the end of the year. As with POLs in December, TPOLs are individually scheduled; student schedules will vary this week depending upon when they are completing and paneling for TPOLs. There is no school on Memorial Day, Monday, May 28 and no tPOLs will be scheduled for that date. Successful completion of tPOL is required to transition to the next grade level; it is not unusual to be asked to refine and redo a TPOL and students need to be prepared to return another day if they do not pass the first time. Professional dress is required for TPOLs. We are accepting donations of professional dress shoes and clothing to replenish our supply for students–especially dress shoes and ties. Please bring donations to the main office.
- Freshmen will individually present to a panel of faculty and peers; parents are welcome to attend. 9th grade students will complete their TPOLs on Tuesday, May 29th and Wednesday, May 30th. Any student not reaching presentation expectations will be asked to refine and make up the presentation on Thursday, May 31st.
- Sophomores will explain where they see themselves in the Hero’s Journey of high school, using evidence and visual aids. A panel of two teachers and three peers will interview the presenter and evaluate the TPOL. Families are also welcome to attend.
- Juniors will do individual presentations about their LINK Internships to a panel of their peers and teachers for TPOLs; parents and LINK mentors are welcome and encouraged to attend. Here is the schedule for junior TPOLs.
- The last day of school is Friday, June 1, though some students will finish before then if they successfully complete their TPOL and paneling responsibilities earlier in the week. The Staff Appreciation Lunch is on Friday, June 1; stay tuned for a signup to help provide food for our hard-working teachers.
There will be NO Hub Bus from DHS to AHS and NO catered lunch during TPOL week.
I recognize that the end of the school year can be a bit of a whirlwind and there are many details to track. As always, we invite you to reach out with any questions or concerns. Thank you for all you do at home to support your student as we all work toward finishing the year gracefully!