QUALIFYING FOR FREE/REDUCED LUNCH
All AHS families should complete the application for Free/Reduced Lunch even if they believe they will not qualify. In the Infinite Campus Parent Portal, select “More” and then select “Meal Benefits.” Paper copies of the application are also available in the main office.
At AHS, we support families who qualify for Free/Reduced Lunch in a variety of ways:
- Students who qualify may order one lunch per day through the AHS website at no cost or reduced cost ($4).
- We provide free breakfast and sack lunches.
- Your family will not be responsible for paying the annual Technology Fee or course fees associated with any academic class.
- The fee for Summer School online courses is reduced for students who receive free or reduced lunch.
College Application Assistance
- Our college counselor will help students who qualify receive fee waivers for both the ACT and SAT exams, college application fees and college deposit fees
- The college counselor will recommend specific scholarship and summer programs to students who qualify.
- Students should never pay for anything related to college before checking with the college counselor.
- Qualifying students can receive a transit sticker from our Registrar and affix it to their school ID. This allows them to ride Durango Public Transit for free for a calendar year.
We are committed to connecting families with resources beyond what we can provide at school as well. Families can always reach out to our school counselor, Erin Skyles at erin.skyles@animashighschool.
Forms and Documents
- AHS Health Consultant
- Medication Administration Procedures
- Authorization to Administer Medication at School, School Sponsored Events, and Field Trips
- Contract to Self-Carry Medications at School, School Sponsored Events, and Field Trips
- Care Plan for Asthma
- Care Plan for Anaphylaxis
- Care Plan for Diabetes
- Seizure Action Plan
- Physician Chronic Illness Declaration Form
Statement of non-medical exemption (Requires a Physician’s signature. A new non-medical exemption form must be re-submitted every school year, even if the exemption is just for one vaccine)
Statement of medical exemption (Requires a Physician’s signature)
Please access Vaccine Information for Parents and Guardians if you would like to review the most up to date info from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment regarding recommended vaccines. Here is a link to common vaccine concerns and myths.
Beginning in the 2021-2022 school year, the process of filing a nonmedical exemption will change. There will be two ways to file a nonmedical exemption. Be sure to check with your student’s school or child care to find out if it needs a copy of the certificate of nonmedical exemption.
- File the certificate of nonmedical exemption WITH a signature from an immunizing provider, OR
- File the certificate of nonmedical exemption received upon the completion of our online education module.
- Parents of students in grades K-12 claiming a nonmedical exemption must file one annually. Nonmedical exemptions expire June 30 each year. If you submit a nonmedical exemption on or before June 30, it will not be valid for the upcoming school year unless you signed the exemption during early registration.
Downloadable certificate of nonmedical exemption:
- The online education module is available 24 hours a day and seven days a week. It will take approximately 20 minutes to complete.
- At the completion of the module, you will be able to complete a form to obtain a certificate of nonmedical exemption. You can complete this form for more than one child without having to retake the course.
- IMPORTANT: Nonmedical exemptions expire each year on June 30. If you submit a nonmedical exemption on or before June 30, it will not be valid for the upcoming school year unless you signed the exemption during early registration.
AHS is Exempting from administration of medical marijuana to a qualified student by school personnel due to the current conflicts with Federal law on this matter. AHS Policy for Administering Medical Marijuana to Students
Thanks to our ongoing collaboration with the 9R School District, AHS students are able to ride all routes of the 9R buses to Durango High School in the morning, where they can then transfer to the Hub Bus that delivers them to AHS. The Hub Bus leaves DHS and arrives at AHS so that our students are on time for their 1st period classes. Students may also board the Hub Bus at DHS without taking a route bus beforehand. In the afternoons, the Hub Bus will leave AHS after school to transport students to DHS; students may then board another 9R bus to return home.
The Hub Bus is NOT available Monday afternoons since 9R schools have early release while AHS does not. Please be aware that on the days when 9R is not in session, neither the 9R route buses or the Hub Bus will be available.
Students wishing to park on the AHS campus are required to fill out an AHS Parking Registration Form and display a parking sticker on their windshield. Once the form is submitted, students will receive a parking sticker from the main office. This sticker is to be placed in the top left corner of the driver’s side windshield. There is no fee to obtain an AHS parking sticker. Rules and regulations regarding student parking on AHS campus are clearly outlined in the registration form. Students must park in the student designated area.
We encourage students to consider sustainable transportation options including carpooling, biking and using the trolley. The Durango Transit fixed route system operates 7 days a week from 7am to 8:30pm, year round. The Fort Lewis College route (purple on the Durango Transit map) travels from the Transit Center at 8am to FLC at 8:08, dropping passengers off within walking distance of AHS in time to get to 1st period classes. The Fort Lewis Express route (blue on the map) leaves North City Market at 7:30am and arrives at FLC at 7:45. See full route and schedule info for more details. An annual Student Pass is $30 and those who qualify for free/reduced lunch can receive a free transit pass through the AHS main office.